Friday, November 25, 2011

Recommended reads

*The Great Frustration by Seth Fried. One of the best books I bought this year. Imaginative, funny, brilliant. Also, Fried writes a lot from the first person plural point of view which I don't see too often. I absolutely loved his last piece in the book called "Animacula: A Young Scientist's Guide to New Creatures," a collection of flash pieces featuring fictional microscopic life forms. Every story in this collection blew me away. I laughed and sighed out loud a lot.
*Finally, the new Twelve Stories! As usual, all of the dozen stories are awesome. I especially enjoyed "97 Sketches of the Same Naked Man."
*Issue 13 of NOÖ Journal. NOÖ Journal's artwork is fantastic and I loved the story "The Man Who Married a House" by Mathias Svalina.
*"Big Bad Love" by Mary Miller at Good Men Project. Also her collection Big World blew me away, I can't wait to read more of her stuff.
*Bummer: And other stories by Janice Shapiro. Loved the sharp-tongued female protagonists in this debut collection.
*Ben Loory's Stories for Nighttime and Some for the Day. Fable-like short-shorts that were so delightful to read.
*I thought this story by John Minichillo on Fictionaut, composed of Tweets, was a very cool idea.
*This site featuring "fiction inspired by shitty Olive Garden commercials" is an interesting experiment.
*What's a Manic Pixie Dream Girl? Was Annie Hall a strong female character? This article on Jezebel answers such questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment