Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Classic Poets Read: T.S. Eliot

One of modernism's Greats reads his famous and arguably best poem "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock."



I was surprised by his voice and reading style, somehow. I don't know what I was expecting: not this.

I'm not the hugest Eliot fan. I worship this poem and this poem alone, and have read "The Waste Land" and couple times, a book of his selected poems, and a couple of his literary essays. He's kind of a dogmatist when it comes to criticism, insisting that great works of literature can only be born from extensive study and alignment with the literary tradition preceding it -- i.e, dead white dudes. Overall, I didn't find his arguments particularly compelling on this issue.

Still, this poem sends me reeling even after the hundredth read, and it's different hearing the words from Eliot himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment