Thursday, April 15, 2010

Tiger Beatdown Addresses "Dude Music"

Here's a link to an interesting tirade by a female musician named Silvana. She discusses what she dubs "dude music" and the dude music scene in general, and how boring it is. Although I relate to some of her points, on the other hand, I feel like she's missing a lot of important female influences in the music scene that at least I found completely inspiring and influential when first learning to play my electric guitar: the riot grrrl movement of the early nineties! Bands like Babes in Toyland, Bikini Kill, L7 and 7 Year Bitch were my Holy Grails when I was still in high school, and I still stand by them today. Those are all-girl bands not to be discounted! Not to mention the underground music scene, where I've seen all kinds of unknown bands with females fronting, me included. She mentions Le Tigre, but I'm thinking pre-Le Tigre. She talks about Nirvana, but I'm talking Hole.

Speaking of which, Courtney Love has a new album coming out April 27th. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment